Internet Liability Insurance is recommended for any computer based business with an internet presence that sends and receives information by email, downloads documents or holds personal and sensitive data.
Its coverage is designed to protect businesses from liabilities that arise from the conducting of business over the Internet, including copyright infringement, defamation, and violation of privacy.
Why you should consider it:
- Provides specialist protection often not covered in general liability policies, including unauthorized access of customer information, and website, network, or server interruptions
- Protects your financial interests against risks associated with a high profile online presence, even if a claim is invalid
- Minimises the disruption to your business and reputation
- Provides peace-of-mind security
Policy features can include:
- Financial losses caused by the failure of a company website, collapse of your internet provider, phishing, or the work of computer hackers
- System damage caused by viruses or malware you may have unknowingly transmitted via email or the internet
- Unknowing copyright or trademark infringement
- Intellectual property theft, or false attribution of authority
- Content on your website or blog that defames or libels a third party
- Breach of confidentiality
- Staff misuse of company email (for which you are responsible)